Electronic Prescribing Service
Moordown Medical Centre uses the Electronic Prescription Service. This makes collecting repeat prescriptions easier, more secure, more efficient and more convenient for you thus saving the NHS money. This service gives you the option to ‘nominate’ the pharmacy you choose to get your regular medication or appliances from. Your GP will then send your prescription electronically to them directly and your medication will be ready for you to collect in about two working days. This will therefore save you a trip to the surgery just to collect a prescription form.
The way we process your prescriptions is changing in February 2020...
The Electronic Prescribing System (EPS) will become the default for prescribing and dispensing of prescriptions in primary care in England.
Most prescriptions are now signed, sent and processed electronically. You have 2 choices for how this works:
- You can choose a pharmacy or dispenser to dispense all your prescriptions. When you get a prescription, it will be sent electronically to the dispenser you have chosen. You can collect your medicines or appliances without having to hand in a paper prescription.
- You can decide each time you are issued a prescription where you would like it to be dispensed. When you are issued a prescription, you will be given a paper token that you can take to any pharmacy or other dispenser in England. The paper token will contain a unique barcode that will be scanned to download your prescription from the secure NHS database.The benefits of the system
- prescribers can process prescriptions more efficiently and spend less time dealing with prescription queries
- dispensers can reduce use of paper, have improved stock control, and provide a more efficient service to patients
- patients can collect repeat prescriptions from a pharmacy without visiting their GP, and won't have a paper prescription to lose
- Reliable, secure and confidential
- Prescriptions are easily audited and can easily be tracked in the system.